The other day, when using adb to communicate with my phone, I had a problem where my laptop would not connect to my phone.

# adb devices
List of devices attached

Odd, it should have listed the device serial number. So I checked out lsusb to see if the phone was showing up at all, which it was:

# lsusb
-other stuff-
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 22b8:41da Motorola PCS

After some research, I realized that I needed some rules for this
device, and found that one guy did something similar for his nook. I
stole what he did, but changed it for my phone.

# touch /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules
To create the file.

# echo “SUBSYSTEM==usb, ATTR{idVendor}==22b8, MODE=0666, OWNER=user #
motorola” >> /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules
# service udev restart

Now when I run adb devices, I can actually communicate with my phone:

# adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
04039C4E19009019 device

Just a quick and dirty real world example.

Linux – keep it simple.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *