Every one else is probably brighter than me. However, after reading the instructions over and over again, and then attempting to follow them, it just wasn’t working. All I wanted to do was start a libGDX project in Android Studio. I finally figured out where I went wrong, so here is the step by step for any one else that gets stuck like I did. Please read all the instructions first, because step 5 becomes step 1, but doesn’t make sense unless you read them in this order:
- Go to https://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/download.html and click “Download Setup App”.
- A jar is downloaded. Don’t try to import it, or something of that nature. Clicking on it is no good either. Simply open a terminal window and cd to the Downloads directory. Once you are there, type: $ java -jar ./gdx-setup.jar
- A window will pop up. Fill in the usual blanks to name your app.
- For the Android SDK field, open Android Studio, and click File –> Project Structure. That first field is the Android SDK.
- For the folder to put the newly created app in, be sure that you choose a folder that is empty, because it will wipe out everything in that folder. So I recommend you make a folder for it first!
- Uncheck the things you don’t need, like IOS, HTML, etc, and click generate.
- Once it is done, go back to Android Studio, and click File –> open.
- Choose the folder you put it in, and Android Studio will recognize the gradle files in it, and open your new app!
Hopefully that makes sense and keeps you from wasting as much time as I did. Most of you are probabl smart enough to know this already!
Linux – keep it simple.